Anyone who slept through economics 101 knows that when disposable income tightens people make substitutions. Some even eliminate certain purchases all together. A real humbug when companies are doing just that with their hoiday parties. Fortunately my company appreciates the importance of moral and an open bar so I'm good, but maybe not so much for you.
But darn it you worked hard this year and deserve a little fun. Maybe you can't let the Dom flow with abandon this year as its suddenly become plain tacky, not even a shred of ironic humour remains. So here are some holiday beverage recommendations that are easier on the wallet and demonstrate fiscal sensitivity so you can imbid with style.
1. Time to get off the cosmopolitans and saccharin puckeredness. Flip to vodka & soda with fresh lime wedge. Simple, effective and appropriate for fiscal and physical leaness.
2. Adult times call for adult beverages. Save the mojitos for the all inclusive resorts. Request a Manhattan; the serious cocktail for serious serious people in serious times. Efficacy is off the charts if you can handle it.
3. Beer has guided man through every economic contagion in history. If you're a volume drinker a local lager is the right choice over shiny imports. If you appreciate quality over quality a Belgian Trappist offers an affordable luxury that anyone can enjoy unencumbered.
4. Brew your own. No longer does it scream CHEAPO. Rather a 100 mile diet loving penny wise genius.
5. Lastly, instead of Cognac, try Southern Comfort. It's the cognac of the south.
Hopefully the helpful tips in this public service announcement will guide you through the Holidays full of cheer.